- June 18, 2020
- Written by: Dr. Atul Wankhede
Its nothing that we haven't heard of, or known about. Here's a quick reminder of a few signs and symptoms of calcium deficiency that everyone should be aware of.
- Muscle cramps: Despite an adequate level of haemoglobin and sufficient water intake, if you suffer from regular muscle cramps, it could be a sign of calcium deficiency.
- Low bone density: Calcium is required for mineralisation of bones to keep them strong, as we grow old. Therefore, low calcium levels directly affect the bone density and increases susceptibility to osteoporosis and fractures.
- Brittle nails: Our nails need calcium deposits for maintaining their strength. Lack of calcium can make our nails brittle and weak.
- Toothache: Given that about 99% of our body’s calcium is stored in our bones and teeth, calcium deficiency is bound to cause toothache and decay.
- Menstrual cramps: Women suffering from calcium deficiency may face high levels of pain during menstruation given the crucial role played by calcium in muscle contraction and relaxation.
- Low immunity: Calcium helps maintain a healthy immune system. The deficiency of calcium reduces body’s resistance against pathogen attack.
- Neurological problems: Lack of calcium can cause neurological problems such as seizures and headaches that occur due to excess pressure on the head. A deficiency in calcium may lead to neuropsychiatric symptoms like depression, insomnia, personality changes and even dementia.
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, it is important to consult your doctor who will then advise a blood test to determine your body’s calcium levels. The cure to calcium deficiency includes consuming a high calcium diet and supplementation.
Remember, NEVER to start calcium supplements just because your friends or your neighbours are taking them or you feel you need to take those after you are 40+. There is NO replacement to your dietary minerals. Please don't fall prey to the urban lifestyle disorder of popping supplements.
BE YOUR BEST YOU