5 Ways to Boost Bone Strength
- July 27, 2020
- Written by: Dr. Atul Wankhede
Read these simple facts to add to your already strong bones or to build back your weak ones.
- Monitor your diet: Get enough calcium and vitamin D, ideally through the foods you eat. Although dairy products may be the richest sources of calcium, a growing number of foods, such as orange juice, are calcium–fortified. Fruits, vegetables and grains provide other minerals crucial to bone health, such as magnesium and phosphorus.
- Maintain a reasonable weight: This is particularly important for women. Menstrual periods often stop in women who are underweight due to a poor diet or excessive exercise and that usually means that estrogen levels are too low to support bone growth.
- Don’t smoke, and limit alcohol intake: Smoking and too much alcohol both decrease bone mass.
- Make sure your workouts include weight–bearing exercises: Regular weight–bearing exercise like walking, dancing, or step aerobics can protect your bones. Also include strength training as part of your exercise routine.
- Talk with your doctor about your risk factors: Certain medical conditions (like celiac disease) and some medications (steroids and others) can increase the chances that you will develop osteoporosis. It’s important to talk with your doctor to know more.
BE YOUR BEST YOU